A forever faithful friend says goodbye


I have always adored and been interested in service dogs. I know, first hand, the soulful connections a family pet creates, but service dogs can reach much more deep into one's soul. They make lives better and, for many, they can make connection to the outside world possible. I recently captured a disabled veteran, Ellen, and her service dog, Shadow, as a favor for www.muttswithamission.org. The organization saw the importance of capturing Shadow as, not only is he retiring from his service, but his last days on earth will be coming soon. Shadow has an inoperable brain tumor that necessitates he be put down. It was an emotional decision but it's clear the love they share compelled Ellen to realize he doesn't need to nor deserve to suffer. 

Shadow and Ellen found each other in 2004 after Ellen adopted him through the Desert Labrador Retriever Rescue (DLRR). Shadow had been tossed over a fence to essentially be thrown away! Ellen saved Shadow but Shadow would soon make a part of Ellen's life easier. When Shadow was just 5 months old, he began training to become her mobility assistance service dog and learned so quickly and with such obedience, he was soon certified. He has been her faithful companion she relies on for 10 years.

It was a bittersweet day as I made my way into their home to meet Shadow for both the first...and last...time. Right away he leaned on my leg for lots of scratches and love and had the sweetest demeanor. I could tell memories are very important to Ellen as she shared the stories behind the numerous photos of her loved ones that hung all over her walls, some dating back to the early 1900s. I got chills thinking how soon Shadow's photos will be among her life history that filled this room. 

We went to a local lake for the photo shoot and Shadow was a wonderful model. I mentioned maybe Shadow would like to frolic in the water a bit at the end since it was so hot. Ellen said sure but informed me Shadow does not like - no, more like despises - water! So I thought maybe we would end up chilling on the beach for a few nice last shots. Much to my surprise - and Ellen's ecstatic shock - Shadow moseyed on into the water as if it was just another day! He sniffed a bit and slurped a bit and then stood still for awhile soaking up the cool waters and warm sun. He seemed quite peaceful and content. I feel honored to have captured the one and only time Shadow enjoyed, not dreaded, water. And Ellen seemed happy to declare Shadow could check off an item from his bucket list!

Shadow has remained faithful to the end and Ellen is forever changed by Shadow's role in her life. She named him Shadow because "he walks in my shadow", but he will now be carried in her heart. As she states, "He's my FOREVER FRIEND and MY FOREVER HERO!" This hero will never be forgotten. 

These are a few of my favorites from the memorable day that I was honored to meet and say goodbye to Shadow...
















!


1 comments:

  1. this is so lovely a tribute to Shadow. I have been friends with Ellen and Shadow for many years, practically from the beginning of Shadows time with her. Shadow and Ellen made a wonderful team and it he will be greatly missed

    ReplyDelete

 

contact me

Name

Email *

Message *

blog archive